6 Helpful Things To Consider When Shopping For New Dishes

1. Get the right size of dishes for your cabinets, shelves and dishwashers.

You can love the look of these big and beautiful plates, but you will not like them until you can close the doors of your closet! Consider your space and storage restrictions before buying anything.

Just make sure you get plates that match the normal cabinets (assuming you have them). I love our Pottery Barn dishes, and they are very durable, but the plates are exactly 12 inches in diameter, while most of the top cabinets are 12 inches deep, but it's from the front to the wall, not inside the cabinet. Probably more of a hassle than necessary. Best Dinnerware Sets

I had to return a set of Martha Stewart dishes because the plates were too big to fit in my standard dishwasher - the fan would have slammed the top of the plate! I discovered it during the first visit when I unpacked the new dishes and placed them in the washing machine. They ended up being repacked and returned the same day! I'm trying to buy Made in America or Made in England for dishes because I'm scared of stories of lead and other chemicals in articles from China.

Many plates today are just huge! For those who are watching portion sizes, a smaller plate really helps. I also looked for plates with a rim (as opposed to a cup shape), or a large plate with a smaller food area. [Also, predict] a reasonable fingerprint of the dishes - when the cups of our set need to be replaced, I will look for something narrower. The cup area of our dishwasher fills up days before the rest of it is full. Same for the storage space.

I really like all white with little or no embellishment, but I find it hard to find things that are not too big! We have a Williams-Sonoma mini-game and a larger set of Crate and Barrel.

2. Find the open stock so you can customize according to your needs.

You do not need to buy a set of 5 pieces if you know that you are mostly interested in plates and soup bowls. Open stock options allow you to choose exactly what you want and, better yet, to easily replace a coin if it is broken.

We bought white Crate & Barrel. I like this! It's basic and works with everything. Over time, I added different services - also in white - to all kinds of brands and spots. He created a unified table, and the white shows the vintage when I mix and match. In addition, at $ 6 plate, when there are fries, it does not matter. We own 20, because of many holidays at home, so buying a new plate is easy.

I'm looking for ... an open stock so that I can customize the number of bowls / plates / plates and ignore the cups and saucers; stackable on a shelf and in a dishwasher; and an attractive design that will look good, even if covered with spaghetti sauce.

3. White is classic and porcelain will never let you down.

You can not go wrong with white dishes. They are beautiful, classic and versatile. They make an excellent basic set, and you can always emphasize with colored bowls or cups.

Just white. It's simple, and I think the food looks more elegant and appetizing on a white background. I do not know how to do it, but it's a lot easier to buy. Best Dinnerware Set

My general advice would be: Bide your time, look for sales, opt for classic, simple, white pieces (bone china!) That you can match with anything. A white porcelain plate will go well with the vintage glasses you found on a flea market or the colorful salad bowl you bought during your trip to Greece ... Pure white porcelain is versatile. Then go.

My advice is to choose porcelain or porcelain - these are the most durable forms of dishware. Sandstone and earthenware are generally more delicate, but they are more likely to flake off.

I have been selling food for 17 years, and for the simplicity of everyday life, you can not beat China. It is baked twice at the highest temperature and is the most durable of all dishes. Start with white plates and add all kinds of colors and patterns to the other pieces. They can be polite with Barkeeper's friend and look new. They can be dressed or lowered. Sandstone or ceramic is where you will find the best color saturation. They are fired only once and are therefore a bit more fragile.

I have bowls and white bowls, but I think I will collect coins. (I do it with my location settings, I only have one of each.) But the game of the drink. - Lepidoptera
[Go for] white. The food is superb and it is easy to mix new parts while maintaining a consistent appearance. Also easy to use fun table to brighten things up or become festive for the holidays.

I think serving pieces are so fun to mix and match. We have fun orange soup bowls. But I like the continuity of these basic plates, bowls and white cups.

4. Buy coins to organize a big dinner.

There are only two people in your household right now, but it is wise to plan ahead for larger families, parties and gatherings. You will be so happy that you did it!

If you have space and can afford it, then it is possible to imagine you in the next decade (just your own owner? Thanksgiving family? Big potlucks?) - so a little more, if possible, in case you are obsolete or parts break.

I think it's important to have a lot. My set is now 12 years old and I regularly come to the bottom of the pile, especially when I'm having fun.

5. Buy a set for daily and formal meals.

You do not need to buy two sets of dishes. Invest in a nice set, then dress up and down with sheets. You will save space and money!

If possible for you, do not have separate sets for daily meals, but a group of dishes you will be happy for any occasion. This will allow you to enjoy your best meals all the time and will save you more storage and traveling.

I am always intrigued by the number of people who have two different sets. Whatever for what? If you really have small children (like kindergartens or younger ones), buy them a special dish (although I'm always made of porcelain or ceramics as soon as they are old enough to know that you are not hitting not on the table) Do not deny the rest of the family the beauty of your good food. So what happens if something breaks from time to time? Everything is replaceable if you buy smart!

6. It is worthwhile to spend money on good food.

If you plan to live with these dishes for years to come, do not skimp on quality. Spend a little more to get exactly what you want, even if it takes you longer to get a complete set.

Personally, I think you should choose to spend a little more for a quality set that will last a long time (not only in durability but style / style) in a neutral color (shiny white) so you do not have to replace the l together if you change the design of your kitchen

It's worth it for me to have plates that make me smile every time I turn them off. I strongly recommend taking good care of yourself and letting you go if necessary. Best Dinnerware Sets

* Bonus Tip: Crate & Barrel's Aspen Dinnerware is a great place to start.
A number of Kitchn readers have recommended the Crate & Barrel Aspen line of dishes. If you're shopping for a basic white dish that you can live with for years, it's a good choice to consider.

We also have Aspen from Crate and Barrel. It matches everything we were looking for: plain white with rimmed plates, good enough for a formal dinner, but sturdy enough for normal size normal plates (we had cellar Macy sandstone that did not fit in our cabinets or microwaves !), And reasonable. I love Whiteware because it's so easy to mix and match serving pieces and linens and the food is really pretty.

Another vote for basic white porcelain! We signed up for regular white dishes from Cree and Barrel Aspen (my mother wanted me to sign up in China - no thanks!). They are perfect for every day and can look so much needed. I will be able to buy replacements forever, and when I do not do so, mixes and white matches.

I'm voting for Crate and Barrel 'Aspen. I bought extra parts and it goes with everything. I have Corelle and really liked it too, but a word of warning. It is very hot in the microwave and if you drop a plate and it breaks, it breaks into dangerous shards. And these flashes travel! Had them everywhere!

Another vote for Crate and Barrel here. I have an old Noritake Blue Haven set that was my husband's grandmother ... and although it's nice and durable, the model is so sexed. I use them every day, but I also bought C & B Aspen White Plates, Aspen Bottom Bowls, Square Bowls and some small oval shaped bowls. 6 of each and I paid $ 101 Canadian in total. Good deal.
Best Dinnerware Sets

Comments